Friday, 2 December 2011

Poem - Night


The wind speaks softly and my candle is dim
the shadow of a cross is cast upon my wall
and the room trembles with the traffic passing,
hissing upon wet roads.

Beneath all these sounds, there is here
a deeper velvet silence
a space inside me that should be filled
by the beating of my heart
but is only a yearning darkness
a wing-pinned bird stirring in dream.

I remember what it was to love.
I remember standing naked in the rain.

7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful look at a true moment. There is so much in this poem, in so few well chosen words. I love '... a wing-pinned bird...'

    You truly are a great poet Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You evoke mood so well: you admit us directly into this private and sad place. Such vivid visual and aural images. Thank you for sharing the poem with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou very much Carolyn and Sandra, I appreciate your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a magnificent poem: so atmospheric, so perfectly capturing an emotion. It makes me think of that song 'Kiss Me in the Rain'. I absolutely love this tender poem

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thankyou John, it certainly seems to have struck a chord for people. :) Lovely when that happens!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...