While I'm on the topic of poems about homes I've had, here's one from 2009 about a unit I lived in at Henley Beach.
Here, in my house on a hill by the sea
I feel myself begin to heal.
When I stand by the water
I no longer feel that call to flee.
When I pass drains I no longer
resist the desire to disappear
into the shadows.
An agony eases a little inside me.
The tree is no longer burning
in the wind, flame raging
in the hot breath of the desert.
I am no longer drowning
in the dark water, hearing blood
scream in my ears, the deep
burning aching need for air.
Beached by the waves, planted
in sand I cough up oil and bile
New buds appear on burnt and withered limbs
My starved and maddened brain
brings forth new dreams.
Here, in my house on a hill by the sea
I feel myself begin to heal.
When I stand by the water
I no longer feel that call to flee.
When I pass drains I no longer
resist the desire to disappear
into the shadows.
An agony eases a little inside me.
The tree is no longer burning
in the wind, flame raging
in the hot breath of the desert.
I am no longer drowning
in the dark water, hearing blood
scream in my ears, the deep
burning aching need for air.
Beached by the waves, planted
in sand I cough up oil and bile
New buds appear on burnt and withered limbs
My starved and maddened brain
brings forth new dreams.
Scary but healing words. Words really do have the power to heal, don't they?
ReplyDeleteYes, I think words can be very powerful, for hurting or healing.
Delete